Monday, June 4, 2012

The ubiquitous sprang bag

Here's the bag from Stephenie Gaustad's sprang class at CNCH, after boiling it for a half an hour or so in laundry soap and washing soda, and letting it dry flat in the sun.  It softened it up somewhat.  It's still a little stiff, and letting it dry served to block it into a cuter version of its former self.  Now it has a nice little roundy shape to it.  To finish it off,  I crocheted around the top edge, starting in the loops that were around the top and bottom guide cords when it was on the frame loom.  Then I crocheted a long chain for a strap, going back over it with what I call a half-stitch (don't know a name for it), just chaining again over the chain.  I'm not sure what I'll use this little pouch for; right now it's hitched onto the castle of the Macomber, making a trial as a holder for my heddle and reed hooks.

Here's the before picture, when it was just a long twisty hairy tube.  The strap was very "live" and wanted to twist a lot, too.

2 comments:

  1. I would like to make a sprang bag, I have corded wood nettle. What material did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done the little pouches in many different fibers. This one, as I mentioned in the other post, was of hemp. Nettle would probably be very similar as it is also a bast fiber.

      Delete