Monday, March 17, 2014

March TotM - Update: Weaving the Overshot Borders

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I have the borders going now.  I used 6-strand cotton embroidery floss, and it comes in so many colors I couldn't resist using a bunch of different greens.

Perusing the Hayes pattern book, I see suggestions for either 10/2 or 5/2 cotton as a pattern weft when the ground is set at 30 epi, so I'm going to try those on the other towels.

Again I am not getting a balanced weave, so the design is turning out much taller in the warp direction than was suggested by the draft I posted, but I like this shape better.

I put the small border close to one hem.  The large design will be farther from the opposite hem, to be more centered when the towel is hanging up on a towel rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment